welcome

Tips and tricks on how to engage the children in your life in a meaningful and memorable way. Meals, crafts, and unit study ideas designed to take some of the planning out of holidays and events so you can dive in and start having fun!

Friday, March 30, 2012

Having a BERRY good time




Life in Central Florida is warm and sunny for most of the year, as evidenced by the fact that our berry picking season starts in FEBRUARY! It seems that we barely put away the Christmas decorations before it's time to head to Pappy's Patch for some amazing strawberries!


We picked just under 10 pounds of these bright red berries. This weekend I will use them to make a double batch of Sure Jell's freezer jam, and we'll freeze a few small batches of washed, cut, and slightly sugared berries to pull out for strawberry shortcake throughout the year. Some will go into the fridge to eat this week, and the rest I will flash freeze on a cookie sheet (unwashed, with the stems on) and toss into a bag to use for smoothies.


My helpers. LOVE how fast the pile grows when you have extra hands! WE LOVE BERRIES!
Meredith
Make sure you visit my facebook and Pinterest pages for more meal ideas!

1 comment:

  1. I'm counting down the days! Our strawberries come in around May, and I can't wait to take my 3 boys picking :-)

    ReplyDelete