welcome

Tips and tricks on how to engage the children in your life in a meaningful and memorable way. Meals, crafts, and unit study ideas designed to take some of the planning out of holidays and events so you can dive in and start having fun!

Monday, March 26, 2012

One Di-no-mite lunch



As the mom of little boys, I know the drawing power dinosaurs have. They're such unusual creatures, full of power and mystery. That's why we decided to dive into the study of them this week. A quick stop at our local library yielded a treasure of books, both fictional and non.


I bought a clear drink dispenser to use for our themed meals, and I couldn't wait to try it out. The red punch is very unintentionally fitting for our punch, which is showcasing a battle between T-Rex and brontosaurus. I assure you, no plastic creatures were harmed in the making of our lunch! :-)


I found an idea on pinterest, and decided to give it a whirl. I hard boiled several eggs on the stove. Once they were finished, I put them in a bowl of VERY cold water to make the peels easy to remove. While they were cooling, I dropped several drops of food coloring into the still hot water used to first boil the eggs. The now cool eggs were cracked, leaving the shells in place, and put back into the hot, now green water. I left them in the water for about 30 minutes, peeled away the crackled shell, and VOILA! Dino eggs!


Other meal components, Tyson's dino nuggets, (Is it cheating if I don't make them from scratch?!?) frosty frozen grapes, carrots and broccoli in green ranch, (twigs and bushes in our swamp) broken pieces of chocolate covered pretzel, (dinosaur bones) dinosaur fruit snacks, and these YUMMY prehistoric earth cupcakes.




We had a great time reading about (and eating) thunder lizards!


Meredith
Make sure you visit my facebook and Pinterest pages for more meal ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment