welcome

Tips and tricks on how to engage the children in your life in a meaningful and memorable way. Meals, crafts, and unit study ideas designed to take some of the planning out of holidays and events so you can dive in and start having fun!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Quick and easy train cake



All aboooooaaarrrddd! Brightly colored frosting and a few mini pound cakes make this train cake take off! For this train, I grabbed 5 mini loaves. I used 4 for the cars, and cut on in half to add detail to the caboose and the engine. Open Oreos make great wheels with a M&M in the center. I used the Oreos again on the front of the engine, frosting them red. A large marshmallow for our smokestack, with popcorn smoke for some fun detail (my favorite part). I even cut out a picture of the birthday boy and placed him in the conductor seat of the engine!

The train cars are filled with pretzel rods for lumber, and crushed more Oreo cookies for coal. Coconut tinted with a dab of green coloring makes perfect grass! I was able to find chocolate Twizzlers to use as my track, and chocolate wafer cookies to be the rail ties. I added crushed graham crackers between the ties as the gravel, and set the completed train cars right on it.

My birthday boy was thrilled to see his favorite mode of transportation turned into a cake!



Meredith
Make sure you visit my facebook and Pinterest pages for more meal ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment